Radio dead, fixing previous bad upgrade?

Discussion of the 700p.

Moderator:kocoman

thetao
Radio dead, fixing previous bad upgrade?

Post by thetao » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Hello, I'm a newbie at this, and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a dead Sprint 700p, apparently from some bad firmware. I believe I was given the original 1.10 update, which now causes the phone to reboot when I power the radio on. (The non-radio firmware is working okay, I guess.) No degree of re-flashing with the right firmware fixes the problem. Is there a tool or a technique I can use to "force" the proper firmware into place...or should I go crawling to a local Sprint dealer? I can post the errors the installer generates, if that helps.

If this is do-able, would someone post a link to some information to help me get started? I'm fairly handy with these things, but don't think this is a typical use for hacking tools.

Thanks!

kocoman
Techie

Re: Radio dead, fixing previous bad upgrade?

Post by kocoman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:00 am

thetao wrote:Hello, I'm a newbie at this, and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a dead Sprint 700p, apparently from some bad firmware. I believe I was given the original 1.10 update, which now causes the phone to reboot when I power the radio on. (The non-radio firmware is working okay, I guess.) No degree of re-flashing with the right firmware fixes the problem. Is there a tool or a technique I can use to "force" the proper firmware into place...or should I go crawling to a local Sprint dealer? I can post the errors the installer generates, if that helps.

If this is do-able, would someone post a link to some information to help me get started? I'm fairly handy with these things, but don't think this is a typical use for hacking tools.

Thanks!
So the phone reboots when you turn on the radio? or does it just 'pauses/stuck' at the Sprint/Treo logo? Are you sure its radio problem?

did you do a hard reset? From my experience, resets are due to software conflict (so try a hard reset)
Firmware or NV related problem will make the phone stuck at logo for a long time, or stuck at "Network Search" or can't get any Info about ie: phone number, PRL info etc
You should try to reflash the sprint MR with ROMUpdater.prc and 'ventura' command. pls read my previous post about them. it may be the phone.prc is corrupted in the rom.
Or maybe the CC-CAP is corrupted if you do not get a 'Sprint/Treo' logo

What installer are you using? CDMAUpdater? I have not known it generates any log.

Warning: doing what I said above may make your Treo become a brick!
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d

thetao

Post by thetao » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:40 am

From context clues, it does seem to be the radio. When I do a hard reset, I finish the screen/stylus setup, then the Sprint "Welcome" screen appears with the "radio on" chime, and it immediately reboots, ad infinitum. I can only make this stop by performing a system reset, followed by a soft reset. Then the PDA portion of the phone is usable. Turning the radio on at this point causes another reset, except that afterwards the radio defaults to off.

So far I've used tried the official Sprint updater. When the phone boots, I do get the orange Palm logo and then the black "Access Powered" logo. The phone is nearly a brick right now, so I don't have a lot to lose. :wink:

Thanks for the tips...now I have somewhere to start. I'll try to post later today with my results.

thetao

Post by thetao » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:06 pm

A short followup:

phone.prc sounds more like the user application than the radio firmware, but it's still a reasonable place to start. Problem is I've browsed the forums here and at treocentral.com, and can't find anything that spells out exactly what to do. I've found RomUpdater.bprc, but can't find phone.prc itself, and don't know what the other files do or which are necessary. Can I flash just portions of the rom, or must I flash everything from beginning to end? A few more clues, please?

kocoman
Techie

Post by kocoman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:32 pm

thetao wrote:From context clues, it does seem to be the radio. When I do a hard reset, I finish the screen/stylus setup, then the Sprint "Welcome" screen appears with the "radio on" chime, and it immediately reboots, ad infinitum. I can only make this stop by performing a system reset, followed by a soft reset. Then the PDA portion of the phone is usable. Turning the radio on at this point causes another reset, except that afterwards the radio defaults to off.

So far I've used tried the official Sprint updater. When the phone boots, I do get the orange Palm logo and then the black "Access Powered" logo. The phone is nearly a brick right now, so I don't have a lot to lose. :wink:

Thanks for the tips...now I have somewhere to start. I'll try to post later today with my results.

phone.prc sounds more like the user application than the radio firmware, but it's still a reasonable place to start. Problem is I've browsed the forums here and at treocentral.com, and can't find anything that spells out exactly what to do. I've found RomUpdater.bprc, but can't find phone.prc itself, and don't know what the other files do or which are necessary. Can I flash just portions of the rom, or must I flash everything from beginning to end? A few more clues, please?
If it was me, I would never use Sprint/Verizon updater. as they have caused lot of issues that made Palm pull it OFF the website, a lot of people got new Treos too because of that. please read the TC forums next time as my memory does not let me type everything that happened to the MR updates (since I live in Canada there were NO MR updates for us so I had to use the USA ones). You are suppose to use 'ROMUpdater.prc and 'ventura' command' as I posted in the reply.

As to phone.prc (its the phone app) I forgot the exact filename as I have not started to work on 700p/755p roms yet.
There is no prc name for the radio firmware. The radio its in the CDMAUpdater.prc program, there is no known way to extract the radio firmware yet.

I posted the flashing howto here and at TC and some other forums back in June of last year. it is written in very confusing english. Ever since the ESN repair via USB (instead of shadowmite's serial method), I wanted a Palm in return for research but have yet receive one. So I will not give much support anymore. maybe email but not in the forums. I don't like to be banned or sent legal letters because of openly discussing these issues.
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d