DEFCON Backpack!

Place to discuss electrical design, tweaks, etc
spymongoose
PDAPhone Hacker Team
DEFCON Backpack!

Post by spymongoose » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:49 am

Yes I hacked a backpack for defcon. Bleh yes you have to be very geeky indeed to hack a backpack.

I had a zippered small side pocket that I stashed my latop powercord in (the end that plugs into a wall) and can be deployed with great speed and without tangling. The cord remains plugged into the power adapter witch is carefully tucked in a hidden panel meant originally for a cd player. There even is a hole originally meant for headphones that now has the power lead going out to the laptop. This allows me to "depoly" both ends of the power cable without removing the power unit from the bag, and retracting both ends into seperate pockets from any other cables or gear so as to not get tangled. Truly a hack to facilitate power for the hacker on the go.

The main pocket of the backpack will of course house the laptop itself, a gateway m320, in a safe (padded and insulated) enclosure keeping it out of sight to reduce possible theft. The laptop is the thin and light model, keeping with the theme of portability and rapid deployment.

The secondary pocket will house my small camelback. A 50 oz bladder is a joke to carry as a backpack in and of itself, my parents got it for me for xmas because it was "cute" and they thought I would use it. Too small to use on it's own, it does fit in the smaller pocketand allows a lot of gear around it. I have the whole camelback in there because the insulation (too keep the water cool) and for protection (remember I have a laptop in that backpack, i dont want to spring a leak). 50 oz is a lot better than nothing, and my real camelback wont fit my laptop in it. My cantenna and other gear get stowed in there, soft goods possibly in the main pocket.

So look for the blue backpack in the defcon pics we post, as well as my cantenna and my treo antenna. And feel free to post here "hacks" that make you a sleek "rapid deployment" geek. Hope to see you at DEFCON!
Talkabout T900 --> Handspring Visorphone --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Apache PPC 6700 -->Nokia 770
http://www.shadowmite.com http://www.ppc6700users.com

spymongoose
PDAPhone Hacker Team

Post by spymongoose » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:08 am

DEFCON was sweet!!! I was way out of my league but it gave me an idea of just how "omnipotent" some hackers can be. The backpack was a great idea, and only needed a bit of "tweaking." On day 2 of defcon Shadowmite himself ditched his fancy laptop bag for a backpack setup similar to mine, and eventulally bough himself a actual laptop backpack for day 3.

I supplemented my backpack with a zip up nepoprene laptop cover. The laptop was getting rubbed and beat up inside the backpack. Although the backpack was keeping the whole setup insulated from the heat, the neoprene cover was neccesary to complete the protection.

The camelback was also completely neccesary. Having lived in vegas for a bit, I knew how to survive in the hot weather. I only managed to empty the 50 oz bladder only once, on the third day, and had enough for the other two day. The whole setup wasnt too heavy, and I feel that in my own way the backpack was pretty slick.

I was at Fry's and saw a backpack that I nearly bought, but I in the end decided that i would stick with my trusty blue backpack. Plus the one at Fry's was $80, and if it took $80 to make me replace my backpack then the one I had was pretty damn nice.

I only saw one backpack setup cooler than mine at defcon. I saw a war walker with a super compact laptop hooked upto a backpack. This backpack had a +8db elevated ground plane omni antenna sicking out of it at an odd angle so as to be vertical with his natural posture. Its anybodys guess what he had in that backpack, Probably a gps, a signal amplifier, and a power supply of some kind. WOW thats dedication to hacking!
Talkabout T900 --> Handspring Visorphone --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Apache PPC 6700 -->Nokia 770
http://www.shadowmite.com http://www.ppc6700users.com