My Custom Treo 600 Cradle

Place to discuss electrical design, tweaks, etc
bigredgpk
Minion
My Custom Treo 600 Cradle

Post by bigredgpk » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:07 pm

Well since my unemployment was starting to get boring I decided to make my Treo cradle better. I always wanted an audio jack on the cradle, I also wanted to make it charge over USB (trickle charge). So this is what I came up with.

I used my new Dremel to carve out a hole for the audio jack (first try! allllright!) and got the headset plug situated (i used this instead of wiring my own mini audio jack.. it's a pain in the ass believe me). I then notices that we had a problem...

The jack was blocking the board in the Treo with the USB wires and the hotsync button so i had to shave down the board and the bottom of the connector.. worked like a charm and I didn't have to secure the jack with any adhisive, the pressure from the board holds it in place! I then drilled a small hole in the back of the cradle for the audio out. This went well without any major hicups. I just had to sand down the thickness of the cradle inorder to mount the jack.

I then got to work on the USB connector. It was very strait forward and I practiced on a few other cables first. I ended up making a sync/charge cable out of the OEM sync cable.. Nice little side bonus! Once i got the USB down pat it took me two trys to get a working connector but in the end I got the cradle I wanted.

One little note, i had to buy the Radio shack volume control headphone extention cord because when I pluged my computer speakers into the back of my cradle I heard the sound comming from the treo (BOO!) oh well.

In the future I am thinking of turning the USB cord from the back of the Treo into a female Treo connector that was left over once i cut it off to make room for the new USB plug. But I have to figure out how to solder the two leads for USB +/-.. they are wicked small! Anyone have any ideas how to tackle it? See picture.

Enjoy! Timmay

Bill of parts:
Cradle $12
USB Connector $1
Treo headset Freebie!
1/8" Radio shack audio jack $2.99
RS volume control $6.59
Getting your project done and the way you wanted it.. priceless!

comp974

Post by comp974 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:56 pm

very nicely done...

azgatekeep
Minion

Post by azgatekeep » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:24 am

Nice work indeed! Wanna do one up for my 650? Hehehe

bigredgpk
Minion

Post by bigredgpk » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:12 pm

azgatekeep wrote:Nice work indeed! Wanna do one up for my 650? Hehehe
If you can supply the cradle i'll do one for you. It should be easier because the 650 has audio leads on the new connector.

Timmay

azgatekeep
Minion

Post by azgatekeep » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:24 am

Still waiting for my cradle to ship from PalmOne.... :?

bigredgpk
Minion

Post by bigredgpk » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:47 pm

azgatekeep wrote:Still waiting for my cradle to ship from PalmOne.... :?
Well once you get it, if you feel like parting with it for a week or so i'll hack it up for ya!
hehehe

Timmay

bigredgpk
Minion

Post by bigredgpk » Mon May 23, 2005 12:46 pm

Well I finally got my Treo 650 cradle today so once i get home i'll crack that baby open and see where i can throw an audio jack on that sucker...

Timmay